Saturday, February 2, 2013

Little Women Blog Post #2

            Little Women has gotten increasingly better. It isn't as boring as before and has a small plot line. There is one thing I want to focus on in this blog. In the book, it is obvious that there is a particular way of speaking and amount of politeness  that everyone has. There are four girls in Little Women. Meg, the oldest and prettiest, Jo, the "tomboy," Beth, the sweetest, and Amy, the youngest. Even thought they all have their different personalities, the "little women" are all equally polite. They speak in an old- English drama type of way. I am very impressed with the way everybody talks. It makes me feel bad about the way I talk. For example, they would say "I am so forlorn that Beth's dainty heart was broken by the deceased bird!" I would say "It's like, sad that her bird's like, dead."
I feel like I need to go back to the 1800's to learn how to  talk right.

           I think that the girls in little women are too polite. I think that a certain amount of politeness is great, being polite and well mannered are two great attributes to a person's personality, but the amount of politeness in little women is so absurd. They are always polite. No matter what. Even in arguments they are polite. I think a certain amount of rudeness is acceptable in some situations. For example; the girls had gone on a camping trip with a couple Englishmen and their friend Laurie. They were playing a game of croquet, and one of the Englishmen cheated by nudging his ball though the hoop with his foot. Jo, the second oldest sister was annoyed and she said something but she didn't get mad at all! I If I was there I would have shown him my fist and told him not to cheat-but that's just me. I also appreciate that they can be so polite and happy while their father is at war. Even though that was how everyone spoke back then, I think that Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy are all greatful for what they have.

         Without hate or complaints, I actually think Little Women is a good book. I think you have to dive a little deeper to get the true meaning of it, but it's there. It shows you should appreciate the time period you live in. But mainly it also shows that you should appreciate what you have, even when you are around others that have more.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your analysis of the era the book was written in! Your writing is really funny by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ella. It's really interesting how you picked up on the way the people in the era talked and acted. This is a really great post.

    ReplyDelete