Sunday, January 27, 2013

Little Women

                 Little Women has been a favorite book to many readers, and so I thought  might pick it up and start reading it. I assumed that it would be written in that 1800's style speak, for example, 'I feel so forlorn that we are poor and now I'm going to weep a little weep. ' If you have watched any old movie that is supposed to take place in the 1800's, then you know what I am talking about. Anyway, it was worse than I expected, and some words had stars next to them to point out what some weird old words mean. As you might have noticed I'm not a huge fan of this book so far. Maybe it will get a little more interesting, and I'll see why people love it so much.

              In Little Women all they talk about is that they are poor. Always complaining about this and that and why their "burden" is so big, and how their clothes are all frayed or have a burn mark on them, when, they have a maid!!! What poor people have a maid?!?! Then again, it did take place during the civil war, maybe the maid was a slave. But they seemed to be on pretty good terms with the maid, and they labeled her as a maid in the actual text, so I am assuming they are a "poor" family with a maid. Personally, I don't think they are all that poor from the description of their house, what they wear, the food they eat. My definition of "so poor" is no food, no nice house next to a very rich man, no parties, and no semi-nice dresses. And especially no maid. I don't mean to hate on the sisters but really, they always think about themselves, and pity themselves because other girls that they meet are richer than them. If I could go into the book and back in time, I would say deal with it. I just think they should appreciate what they have more, because really, they aren't that poor, especially considering that their country is in a war against themselves.

            What I am trying to say is, you should appreciate what you have, and not go  complaining to other people about that you don't have as much money as so and so, or your dress has a burn mark in it this one time. As for the actual book, it isn't painful to read it, but I have been reading books like Tweak and Crank that I'm very bores with a book that has little to no plot line.

No comments:

Post a Comment